Monday 5 March 2012

I took all his money, then his soul.

As I anger walk through the crowded train station to avoid the -20 degree wind, I begin to wonder... are these people staring at me because of my phenomenal mutton chops, or because I look so intense and (I think) handsome? I chuckle as I say out loud ‘both!’ so boisterously a nearby mother pulls her noticeably startled child away in the opposite direction.

Having recently removed a rather nasty curse, and everyone back to normal, I’m in an understandably good mood. I bought soup on my way to work, and decided to dust off my smoulder for the soup lady. As she poured soup into her lap, I’m just going to call it a win and high-five myself. The weather is improving, the cloud of misfortune is lifted and I resume training today.

Training is a party. Fortunately I don’t have to start from scratch like last time. Garbage bag sauna suits under sweatshirts and suicide worthy training sessions. But such is the price when you spend years in a hazy not caring about anything daze. Now I get to train like a normal person. Well pretty aggressive training comparatively, but still normal. I plan on dropping to 200 even, 5% body fat (By June 1...Bank on it). Currently 218, no idea the BF%. I drop to 199/200 I get to fight in a better weight class, which is good, cause as much fun as fighting a guy who is 6’8 310 lbs is (and it’s a hoot) I’m somewhat less inclined to lose teeth and break my nose these days.

I bring up fighting as while out celebrating a friend’s admittance to a phd program last week, he got a wee bit inebriated and decided to shout horrific things at the gathering of out of town drunkards on their hotel balcony who promptly came down to settle matters. He was slightly less brave with them standing directly behind him, silent and gesturing aggressively. His associate, who had also been yelling having left moments before their arrival, my friend and co-worker anger ball loud and angry but unable to be hit in the head due to many concussions and danger of death and his lovely wife Diane... somehow angry at me for allowing this situation to arise... it seemed pretty clear that if there was to be a fight, it would pretty much be me against the four of them, which means me focussing on the biggest asshole there, and hurling myself so aggressively at him that the others would presume me insane and run away. It’s my go to in a situation like that, and yes it has happened before. Not since I was like 19 though. I am a grown up now! I should not have to defend drunk adults from other drunk adults. But the situation never arose, and we all just awkwardly walked away. So back to training it is.

Also on Friday, after winning every penny from all participants in our traditional weekly poker game (part of that tradition is me winning every time) being flustered and certain of his eventual victory, one associate, I’ll name Mat, wagered his very soul. Which I won. My CTO mentioned ‘you know they won’t want to come back if every week you win all their physical and metaphysical goods’. You are right sir, but now I got another soul. I’m thinking of a new division of Awesome Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment